About Simply Susan

My photo
Made in England, Susan grew up particularly enjoying collecting second hand books and visiting jumble sales for bargains. She moved to Australia where she developed a passion for 'Treasure' hunting in opportunity shops. This led to her home becoming a refuge for orphaned bears and an assortment of hand made objects. Susan loves to spend her time creating beautiful country crafts and writing poems about her creations and life experiences. When not busily sewing or writing Susan enjoys hosting themed afternoon teas for her friends and relaxing in her home on the beautiful Gold Coast. May you enjoy Simply Susan's musings.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

What A Surprise!


One of the wonders to me of God's creation is the incredibly intricate and beautiful flowers that appear on cacti and succulents. Often ugly plants come into their own at a certain stage of maturity and gnarliness, when they have been present in the garden for a long period of time, if acquired perhaps from a cutting or from uncertain lineage.

This was the case with this little beauty. I had been keeping an eye on on my strap cacti which were very close to blooming, when I noticed a two prickly protrusions on a funny looking succulent that a friend had given me about four years ago. It has been hanging precariously over the side of its pot causing unbalance whilst happily growing longer and longer, looking like an over inflated fish bone The picture is a little blurry, but I think you'll get the idea.


I thought at first they were spiders, since we have some pretty large hairy varieties here in Queensland, but closer inspection showed me that they were buds. What excitement! What would they reveal? I continued to mark their progress whilst the other blooms opened and were lauded for their beauty, and I waited...(im)patiently!

About two weeks later, I was rewarded. early one morning, its light here currently at about 4.30 am, I trotted outside in my PJs to look over the railing of our deck to see what was happening and then I raced back inside to grab my camera to record this beautiful sight!


Once again, the flower only remained open for one day, but what a day, two days later the second bud opened and I rejoiced again at such perfection.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Simply Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment