About Simply Susan

My photo
Made in England, Susan grew up particularly enjoying collecting second hand books and visiting jumble sales for bargains. She moved to Australia where she developed a passion for 'Treasure' hunting in opportunity shops. This led to her home becoming a refuge for orphaned bears and an assortment of hand made objects. Susan loves to spend her time creating beautiful country crafts and writing poems about her creations and life experiences. When not busily sewing or writing Susan enjoys hosting themed afternoon teas for her friends and relaxing in her home on the beautiful Gold Coast. May you enjoy Simply Susan's musings.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Ironing Pile

For the first time in a considerable time, this morning my husband has the complete collection of his shirts from which to choose which shirt to wear. Today his entire collection is hanging awaiting his perusal, all laundered and ironed, summer, winter and every other season, and I feel GOOD!. This is a result of me attacking the ironing pile yesterday evening.




I don't know how it is at your house, but here clean laundry requiring ironing is folded and placed on a cupboard shelf in the laundry, awaiting my attention, which may be later rather than sooner, depending on my mood, how much time I have available and what's going on in my craft filled head. It's not that I don't like ironing, its more a case of out of sight, out of mind.

Items that I know won't be used for some time, for example special table cloths, napkins, out of season clothes, gradually move to lower position in my ironing pile while I concentrate on the important, urgent items. Thus inevitably some items may be there on that shelf for a considerable time. That's just the way it is. This results in feelings of discouragement for me because the pile is never completely abolished.





Last evening, having tackled the shirts, I was about to disconnect the ironing cord and dismantle the ironing board, when I glimpsed how it might feel if I should finish the job, by ironing all the summer PJ's; the table cloth; the apron; the pillowcases and handkerchiefs my pile would be non existent and it surely would only take me a little while longer...so that's what I did. I smiled to myself at my perception and stick-ability whilst I finished the job.

What's that? A missing button, oh dear, I'd better put that aside for attention later. Well what do you know? I have a mending pile that I operate in a similar way to my ironing pile - urgent cases first - thus certain items may go out of fashion (unlikely in my world) or no longer fit before I get to replace the button, mend the seam, take up the pants etc etc. It must be a character flaw of mine - piles everywhere awaiting attention.

I asked The Man this morning if he had noticed anything different in the wardrobe, after I mentioned my epic ironing episode, he smiled and said that's nice.

Fulfilling my housekeeping duties should be its own reward, but hey, it's nice just to gloat once in a while - isn't it?

I've just got a few spare moments-now where did I put my knitting....?

Simply Susan









No comments:

Post a Comment